I’ve got to do something, but what?!
There are SO MANY conflicting ads, posts, diets, cleanses, wraps, shakes, lollipops (seriously don’t get us started on that one) workouts, out there. No wonder we don’t know where to start or who to trust.
If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.
When reading an ad, or considering trying a product or program, first ask yourself “Does this option seem realistic?”
- “Loose 20 lbs in 1 week!”
- “Loose inches overnight!”
- “You won’t feel hungry”
These are tempting because who hasn’t wanted to loose 20lbs in one week ?♀️?! However they do not sound realistic. If they are promising a quick fix, they are likely a hoax. They may even get you some quick results, but often times the more drastic/quickly these quick fixes work the faster the weight or inches will come back, often with some long term effects making the next time we try it even harder/less effective/more damaging.
If it doesn’t pass a good ol’ fashioned gut check, it’s likely “too go to be true.”
It did not take us 1 month, or even 1 year to get to where we are, so it will take some time to get to where we want to be. And we likely picked up some bad habits along the way.
Habits are hard to break, especially the bad ones. If we want a different result, we have to take different actions. But trying to overhaul your entire life all at once rarely works. It’s overwhelming & confusing, so start small.
5 Places to Get Started
There are more parts to being healthy then just working out and eating well (though those are HUGE pieces of the puzzle). Decide what is a realistic area of your life you are willing to make a few changes with TODAY, and focus on that until you have some new, healthier habits in place.
Choose just 1 of the following options to begin. Once you crushed that, THEN pickup another.
- Get a Fit Bit (AKA Just Move). If money is a factor and a gym membership is truly not in the budget, Fit bit has some affordable options. Buy one, put it on and hit 10,000 steps EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
- Drink More Water. I can guarantee just about all of us are not hydrating properly. We should drink 1/2 of our body weight in oz of water every single day. There are A TON of benefits with hydrating properly. Bonus points for subbing out 1 sugary drink/caffeinated/alcoholic drink per day for a glass of water.
- Go the F*ck To Sleep. We need 7-9 hours per sleep every night. Even if you already are crushing workouts and your nutrition lack of sleep can wreck havoc on your body & metabolism. Plan your day around your sleep schedule and make it non negotiable.
- Practice Mindfulness (Reduce Stress) This ranges anywhere from meditating or journaling for 5 minutes to finally making an appointment with a Therapist (I have a great one if you need a referral!). When we make changes in our life, we have to work on our internal dialogue to get our mind & bodies in sync to stay successful long term.
- Get a Coach If you are looking at this list and thinking “sure that seems easy, but I’ve tried all those things and quit after a week” you may need a coach. Why Icehouse works is greatly due to the accountability having a coach provides to our athletes. Having someone expecting us at the gym, or helping us set the right goals for us and then having the tough conversation when we didn’t show up and ate a whole wheel of cheese and getting us back on track quickly has saved a lot of us from backsliding. Even our coaches have a coach because we too are human, and need someone to hold our feet to the fire occasionally.
Still unsure? We offer a Free Intro to get to know you, discuss your goals and recommend the best place to start to ensure you will be successful long term. Chat with a Coach HERE
You do not have to start all of it today, but pick a place to start, THEN GET STARTED! Good Luck!